Friday, November 2, 2007

Love vs Respect

In response to yesterdays post, my talented, beautiful and charming friend Andrea sent me an email. Apparently she was listening recently to a Focus on the Family broadcast who talked about this same topic. I'll paste for you what she said:

I wish I could remember the teacher's name but I believe his book is called Love and Respect but he also wrote another book called Cracking the Communication Code. POINT IS.......Ephesians 5:22-33 is the Christian's instruction on marriage, family, etc. But look at the last verse, after Paul gives all his instruction he says (I am paraphrasing here.....)

Finally let each of you in particular LOVE his own wife as himself and let each wife see that she RESPECTS her husband.

God knew that women would NEED love (like the air that we breathe according to the teacher) and that our husbands NEED respect like the air that they breathe. God summed up the needs of marriage in ONE verse.


Thanks for sharing Andrea. I looked up the author and it is Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. Sidebar: Go to www.half.com for his books at fantastic discount prices (if you don't mind used books). Half.com is my most favoritest site for books. I never buy books at full price anymore unless I need it that day for some reason.

Anyhoo, back to the point. Many people will argue that respect must be earned. Not according to this scripture. Remember, most of the couples back in bible times barely knew each other before marrying. The verse above does NOT say to respect your man only if you think he deserves it that day.

Remember when Jesus said to love thy neighbor? The love there was a verb, not a noun. It was meant to be an action, not a feeling. Likewise, husbands should act lovingly toward their women even if she doesn't deserve it that day either.

Sigh...so after that little lecture, I must confess that just last night I failed in this area. Now, to be fair, Michael did too, but I think I started it. I guess I have some making up to do this evening. But as they say, making up is the best part of arguing!

3 comments:

Kiki said...

Hi! I sent you an email letting you know that you won my contest! I need your mailing address so I can get your gift card to you! Congratulations!

Mrs Branham said...

Tyna, You're a winner! You won my contest as well. I will also need your address to send the book to you! Congrats!

Scott said...

Sorry to tell you that you didn't win anything from me.
i don't even have a contest currently.
However, I did attend a Love and Respect conference.
It was the best.
Totally