A dear friend told me to read 1 John. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it comforted me and I want to share it with you.
The Practices of Those Who Are In Christ, according to 1 John
- 1 John 1:6-7 - walk in the light. By this I gather that if we claim to be Christian, but still practice sin, we lie.
- vs. 8-9 - recognize we are sinful, and confess our sins
- 2:3-4 - Keep His commandments. If we claim to be Christian, but do not keep the laws and rules He gave us, we lie.
- vs 6 - walk as He walked
- vs 9-11 - do not hate your brother
- vs 15-17 - do not love the world or the things in the world. We cannot be entertained by TV or music that depicts sin, and still claim to know Christ. Do not treat lightly that which He died to save you from.
- vs 22-23 - understand that Jesus is the Christ
- vs 29 - everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him
- 3:3-4 - purify yourself; do not continue in sinful habits
- 10-15 - love your brethren
- vs 16 - be willing to lay down our lives for the brethren
- vs 17-18 Share your goods with others
- vs 23 - believe on the name of His son Jesus Christ, love one another
- vs 24 - Keep His commandments
- 4:7-12 love one another
- vs 15 confess that Jesus is the Son of God
- 5:21 keep yourselves from idols Whatever preempts the place in one's heart that belongs to God may be said to be a god (pleasures, self)