Friday, July 19, 2013

Good garden things!

This week the garden is finally producing!  I picked the first 2 lemon cucumbers this morning.  The tomatoes are ripening in perfect timing with how fast we eat them.  The sugar snap peas are not doing well.  I've only gotten a couple, but I think that's because the children eat them!  I harvested all the red potatoes, then planted some Russian Fingerlings.  The Russets will be ready in August I think.

August will be a good month too.  I expect acorn squash, potatoes, beets, turnips, carrots and just maybe the watermelon and cantaloupe will be ready as well.

I've learned a lot this year about what will grow where, how much water is needed, and how much to grow to actually make a dent in the food budget.  I did NOT plant enough this year.  But next year...well, I have great plans!

No comments: