Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

We had a lovely Thanksgiving gathering. Let's see: Auntie Kay and her family, Nani and Popi (Nani in the ever fashionable hair net), the R family and the D family with brother Paul. Introducing the D's and Paul to family and friends was perfect. Everyone got along well, there was good conversation, no long awkward silences that I noticed.

Michael requested that we do the five kernels of corn this year, so Hannah placed 5 kernels of corn in the center of each plate. If you've never done this, try it. It's a startling visual on how little food one needs to survive a harsh winter (or not).

Something about the Thanksgiving story that has always bothered me. Of the 18 women that went to the new land, 13 of them died by the time that first spring came. Few of the men or chldren died. I've always thought that this is because the women most likely gave a large portion of their food to the children. That bugs me. Why didn't the men give their food to the children too? I guess I can't prove that they didn't, but I'd be willing to bet on it. If I was a betting sort of person.

In Michael's lesson on Thanksgiving to the 5th and 6th graders at church, his material made a statement that also really got under my skin. The story goes that at that feast, the men had fun running races with the Indian braves, archery contests, eating food, etcetera. The women had fun watching and preparing delicious food.

Are you kidding me?!? There are 5 women and a handful of girls and their idea of fun is to prepare a 3-day feast in primitive conditions for over 100 people? What kind of moron writes this stuff?

Anyhoo, we had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner. How was yours?

No comments: